This year’s 17th International Water Mist Conference (IWMC) took place in Rome, Italy, on 25th and 26th October. With 126 attendees it was the second most successful IWMC after the one in Amsterdam two years ago with 128 participants.
On the second day of the conference, Ragnar Wighus, the president of the International Water Mist Association (IWMA) announced that the 18th IWMC will take place in London on 19th and 20th September 2018.
The schedule for THE water mist event of the year 2018 looks like this:
- 15th January 2018: Publication of the Call for Papers
- 15th January 2018: Sponsors / Exhibitors can start booking table tops
- 15th April 2018: Abstract Deadline (the IWMA Scientific Council will review all submissions)
- 30th April 2018: Deadline for handing in submissions for the “IWMA Young Talent Award / Master” (the winner will be invited to the conference, IWMA will cover travel and accommodation costs)
- 15th May 2018: Speakers will be notified about acceptance
- 15th May 2018: The IWMC conference webpage will be activated
- 2nd July 2018: Publication of the IWMC programme
- 16th July 2018: End of the early bird period
- 15th August 2018: The final versions of the presentations are due and will again be reviewed by the IWMA Scientific Council
Apart from this major two-day-event IWMA will organize three tutorials in 2018:
Once again, an IWMA seminar will be part of Intersec Dubai. On 21st January – the 1st day of the exhibition – the International Water Mist Association (IWMA) will hold a half-day seminar on “Fire Protection with Water Mist”. IWMA General Manager Bettina McDowell says: “This will be the third IWMA water mist seminar in Dubai after 2013 and 2014. Since these events were so successful we felt it was time to return to this region where water precious and where consequently water mist fire protection makes sense.”
Due to the tragic Grenfell Tower fire the organization feels compelled to come to the UK for yet another seminar – this time with a special topic: “Fire Protection of high-rise Buildings with Water Mist”. The date for this event has not been fixed, but it will take place as early in 2018 as possible. Most probably around late February, early March. Also, a venue will have to be chosen, but it will surely be in the centre of the country for easy reachability. Bettina McDowell explains: “There is a great need to educate people in key positions when it comes to the responsibility for fire protection and when it comes to the right kind of fire protection in high-rise buildings. We are talking – amongst others – costs, human lives and common sense here.”
And IWMA will return to Italy with a seminar during the last quarter of the year.
Bettina McDowell explains:” The IWMA Board of Directors together with the IWMA members determined this list of events during the annual member meeting on 24th October. And although we have not decided on all particulars, the events will all take place. We are currently in the process of discussing details and updates will be available on the IWMA webpage in good time.”
The year 2018 will indeed be a busy year for the organization as it will also celebrate its 20th anniversary on 15th April. The IWMA Marketing Group is currently working on the particulars of an event to commemorate the founding of the first (and still only) organization dedicated to the water mist technology.
For more information, go to www.iwma.net