Reliable – Introducing the Reliable diaphragm deluge valve range
When the risk from fire to property and critical business processes is at the highest levels, ‘Water Deluge’ has an exceptional track record of effectiveness as a fire suppression system. Now Reliable’s latest FM approved fire protection valve, the ‘DDV’ sets new standards for performance, function, reliability and simplicity…
For decades, Water Deluge Fire Protection has been widely used to manage the risks associated with high challenge environments such as those found in the off-shore and petrochemical industries. At the heart of a Deluge system is the Control Valve, which is required to respond correctly to a detection signal or manual input, then ensure that a sufficient volume of water is promptly released to the open spray nozzles.
Innovation in design
Reliable’s latest valve, the DDV (Diaphragm Deluge Valve,) utilises a Kevlar® reinforced hemispherical rubber diaphragm to hold back water when the valve is in stand-by mode. The diaphragm has been specifically designed for a high level of endurance, coping with working pressures up to 400psi. The pioneering design of the valve and trim options bring together innovation with simplicity, the DDV provides one of the lowest hydraulic friction loss values for diaphragm type valves in the industry.
Operation – general
Water pressure acting on the concave side of the diaphragm, forces the convex side to seal against an integral seat machined inside of the valve body. For water to flow past the DDV, the water pressure on the concave side of the diaphragm needs to be released either by impulse solenoid or manual pull station. This release of water pressure from the chamber allows the diaphragm to deform away from the seat, which permits the water to flow through the valve. Changing the signal to the solenoid will allow it to close, allowing the DDV valve to reset and close. This action can be performed from a location far away from the physical valve, giving the DDV valve its remote reset functionality.
Operation – pressure regulating
An adjustable pilot valve on the body trim can increase or decrease pressure in the diaphragm chamber, thereby regulating the outlet pressure as required. Once set up in standby condition, the integrity of the seal can be verified by opening the upper drain valve to check for leaks.
Features and benefits
- Water pressure is applied to the diaphragm chamber via internal ports that are integrated into the diaphragm and the cover – this simplifies trim and allows for a compact profile
- The cover and diaphragm rubber can be removed without having to dismantle any trim for ease of service
- Potential for ‘Pipe Hammer’ is reduced as the diaphragm unseats progressively
- Ductile Iron with coating gives high resistance to inorganic salts, alkalis and solvents making it an ideal choice for corrosive environments.
- Low hydraulic pressure losses can reduce pipe sizing
- Available in all sizes from 1½” (40mm) through to 8” (200mm)
- Working inlet pressure of up to 400psi (27.6 Bar)
- Output pressure can be regulated to 20 – 210psi (1.4 – 14.5 Bar)
- Vertical or Horizontal orientation without modification
- FM Approval includes optional remote reset function
- Manufactured in the USA
The Reliable Automatic Sprinkler Co. Inc. is one of the world’s largest producers of automatic fire sprinklers and sprinkler system control equipment. The company was founded in 1920 and has continued to expand, now encompassing a 450,000 ft² facility in South Carolina, USA. Reliable produces an unparalleled range of fire sprinklers and produce system control valves including alarm, dry, deluge and pre-action. Reliable products are listed and approved by numerous approval bodies including FM, UL, LPCB and VdS.
For more information, go to www.reliablesprinkler.com